Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Litigation
Although we have been highly successful in negotiating favorable resolutions to coverage disputes, when litigation is required, Conner & Winters has skilled and experienced litigators who understand the complexities and nuances of insurance coverage litigation. We defend select insureds against a wide variety of claims, including breach of contract and bad faith. We also litigate for policyholders seeking to obtain coverage after a denial or reservation of rights letter has been issued. We take pride in the number of cases we have won at the summary judgment stage, but are also practiced and adept at successfully presenting complex coverage issues to judges, juries, and appellate panels. In all matters, Conner & Winters combines its broad litigation experience with its in-depth understanding of the needs of the client, whether insured or insurance carrier.
Additionally, in connection with our insurance and litigation experience, our attorneys have acquired considerable credentials assisting both large and small corporations in responding to catastrophic and covered or potentially covered occurrences, including coordinating investigations, dealing with various governmental regulatory agencies, law enforcement agencies, and insurance carriers, and also in defending subsequent claims and lawsuits.
We have managed the legal aspects for the emergency response teams of major corporations faced with catastrophic events along with the litigation arising out of them:
- Explosion of a railroad tank car loaded with anhydrous ammonia (4 deaths)
- Explosion and fire at propane storage caverns (4 deaths, 16 serious injuries)
- Propane explosion at a popular crowded mountain night spot (1 death, 3 serious injuries)
- Massive hydrogen explosion at a fertilizer plant (3 serious injuries; destruction of major portions of the plant resulting in nine-month shutdown; extensive property and business interruption damages)
- Explosion and fire at a pipeline terminal (personal injuries, extensive property damage, and business interruption loss)
- Rupture of gasoline pipeline resulting in a massive fire and spill (3 deaths, numerous serious injuries); oversaw response to National Transportation Safety Board investigation, as well as liability investigation
- Major fire in a downtown high-rise office building
- Fire at a rental car facility resulting in one fatality
- Major trucking accidents involving personal injuries and death
- Many SUV and other large van rollover accidents involving multiple fatalities and catastrophic personal injuries
For occurrences involving catastrophic and other trucking accidents, attorneys in our transportation and logistics practice area maintain a Rapid Response Team. The Team is available on short notice to respond to transportation emergencies and includes field adjusters, accident reconstructionists, defense attorneys, and experts. Attorneys who are team members are available 24/7 to help manage the legal aspects of an accident response.