Robert’s experience includes comprehensive counseling on a variety of corporate law matters across a variety of industries, with clients ranging from individual investors and executives to private equity funds and publicly-traded companies. Robert takes the time to understand his clients’ goals and takes a practical and responsive approach to achieving them. Robert has guided companies through all stages of the corporate life cycle, from formation to sale. His extensive M&A experience includes complex cross-border transactions, sophisticated for-profit/non-profit joint venture arrangements, leveraged buyouts, minority investments and sales to both strategic and financial acquirers. He has counseled numerous companies on day-to-day corporate matters, including SEC compliance, commercial contracts, debt financing, and the negotiation and drafting of employment agreements and incentive awards.
A 2014 cum laude graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, Robert previously had a distinguished 11-year career as a police officer and was an adjunct professor of criminal justice, as well as an invited speaker and trainer on both the legal and practical aspects of policing.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating all key M&A documents from LOI stage to post-closing integration and management, including shareholder/LLC agreements and other equity documents, as well as board- and investor-facing communications.
- Deals have ranged from $500K-$300M in size, with significant experience representing both buyers and sellers. Client representations include public companies, middle-market PE funds, family offices, small businesses and HNWIs.
- Lead attorney on numerous roll-up acquisitions of a Fortune 500 building products supplier, which included coordinating with client’s C-suite and division managers on integration matters.
- Lead attorney on a Fortune 20 company’s divestiture of a nuclear power facility to a foreign buyer.
General Corporate Counseling
- Counsel on general corporate matters, including drafting/negotiating agreements with investors, loan/credit facility documents, key commercial agreements, employment/separation and incentive equity documents, commercial leases and settlements of outstanding disputes and litigation.
- Client industries include, healthcare, manufacturing, construction and a variety of service industries.
- Significant experience representing both franchisors and franchisees (including in their negotiations with landlords and exits from the franchise model).
Early- and Growth-Stage Corporate Counseling
- Significant experience counseling both investors and entrepreneurs on early- and growth-stage legal matters, including securities law compliance and negotiating favorable exit/liquidation options.
- Joint venture arrangements have included debt financing, sophisticated preferred equity waterfalls and convertible securities (including SAFEs), among others.