Daniel R. Elliott was presidentially appointed to two terms in 2009 and 2015 on the U.S. Surface Transportation Board (STB), an independent economic regulator of the freight railroad industry, and was confirmed by the U.S. Senate both times. He was designated by the President to be Chairman for both of these terms until January 2017.
As Chairman, Mr. Elliott became an authority in railroad economic regulatory matters handled before the STB, in Congress and through the courts. He was responsible for decisions at the agency regarding complex rulemakings, rate cases, preemption issues, and major rail construction cases. Another part of his job included constant interaction with Congress, especially the committees with oversight over STB activities, including testimony before the Senate Commerce Committee on several occasions.
Prior to assuming his leadership role in the federal government, Mr. Elliott litigated labor and transportation cases for sixteen years before the federal courts and numerous federal agencies. He has appeared before the Surface Transportation Board, the National Mediation Board, the National Labor Relations Board, and the Department of Labor. He won numerous significant cases before these agencies and in the federal district and appeals courts during this time.
Mr. Elliott was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and grew up in Cleveland.
Honors & Leadership
Community & Professional
- Past - Ex Officio Member Railroad-Shipper Transportation Advisory Council
- Past - Ex Officio Member, National Grain Car Council
- Past - Ex Officio Member, Rail Energy Transportation Advisory Committee
- Past - Government Member, Administrative Conference of the United States
- Past - Member, American Bar Association, Railway and Airline Labor Law Committee, Section of Labor and Employment Law
- Past - Senior Editor, The Railway Labor Act
- Conner & Winters Attorney Dan Elliott quoted in article focused on how railroads, shippers seek ways to build trustArgus Media, 10.08.2018
- Flash Point with Ryan Mills, 07.13.2018
- Associated Press , 02.28.2018
- Argus Rail Business , 11.08.2017
- BA, University of Michigan, 1985
- JD, The Ohio State University, 1989
- District of Columbia - 2018
- Supreme Court of Ohio - 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio