Charlie Floyd is a strategic legal advisor for financial institutions, including national and state-chartered banks, residential mortgage lenders, servicers and investors, auto lenders and sales finance companies, credit card issuers, installment lenders, student lenders, FinTech companies, and other non-bank lenders. He advises clients on practical solutions and compliance with consumer financial protection and banking laws, handles complex litigation matters, and represents clients undergoing supervisory examinations and regulatory enforcement actions.
Charlie is also an accomplished litigator, partnering with his clients to develop and implement creative yet practical strategies across a broad range of complex business litigation including mortgage-backed securities cases, non-compete and trade secret suits, intellectual property and data privacy disputes, antitrust matters, labor and employment issues, and appeals.
Prior to joining Conner & Winters, Charlie served as in-house counsel for two of the ten largest banks in the United States, advising on litigation and compliance matters related to the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedure Act (RESPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Unfair, Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP), and related regulations and other consumer protection laws, including consumer issues arising under the United States Bankruptcy Code.
• Counsel to defendant mortgage servicer/takeout investor in multiple lawsuits related to sale, purchase, and repurchase of mortgage loans, securitization of those assets, and insurance for the resulting securities.
• Counseled bank clients on regulatory compliance obligations under federal and state consumer credit laws, as well as compliance with mortgage investor requirements (Fannie/Freddie and FHA/USDA).
• Provided regulatory advice and performed due diligence (both asset-level and counterparty related) in connection with sale of $17 billion first and second lien mortgage portfolio and $8 billion worth of mortgage servicing rights.
• Advised bank during OCC onsite examination of default mortgage operations.
• Managed defense of mortgage servicers and investors against borrower claims and counterclaims under RESPA, TILA, FDCPA, FCRA, TCPA, and related statutes.
• Secured $6.9 million verdict for Fortune 500 hospital management company against defecting corporate officials and new employer for breach of covenants not to compete, misappropriation of trade secrets, and breach of fiduciary duty. Largest Texas employment verdict of 2012.
• Represented worldwide retailer in suit for injunctive relief and subsequent appeal resulting from labor union’s trespassory protests on property controlled by plaintiff.
• Counsel to plaintiff franchisor in action brought under Lanham Act to enforce company trademarks and service marks.
• Counsel to semiconductor company in patent license enforcement action in International Trade Commission.
• Undergraduate: The University of Oklahoma, BA Letters, magna cum laude, 2002
• Law School: The University of Chicago, JD, 2006
- Texas - 2006