The rental car industry in the United States has surpassed the $20 billion mark in revenue. Companies in this highly competitive industry are actively trying to secure market share and maximize profitability while at the same time trying to minimize inventory and reduce labor and maintenance costs. Constantly changing national regulations and legislation, a high rate of consolidation, and specialized risk contribute to the complex nature of the business. Conner & Winters has the depth of experience to provide comprehensive legal services to this dynamic industry.
Designing risk management programs and drafting key agreements
Conner & Winters is fortunate to have a nationally recognized practice in the rental car industry. We have worked with some of the largest rental companies and insurance carriers in the United States to generate best business practices and procedures and to develop successful risk management programs. Our attorneys provide guidance in drafting rental agreements and other industry-specific contracts. We have structured self-insurance and public insurance programs for rental companies and drafted insurance policies and policy provisions for the industry. We have developed an in-depth understanding of the risk management aspect of the business.
Advocating the industry’s perspective in many jurisdictions
Our attorneys have successfully litigated rental car liability issues and rental insurance matters throughout the country. The firm’s extensive involvement in nationwide litigation relating to liability of renters and rental car companies has given us keen insight into the key legal issues surrounding the industry and into jurisdictional distinctions that exist. Some areas of concentrated experience include:
- Extensive experience in defending product liability and negligence claims involving SUV and large passenger van rollovers resulting in deaths and catastrophic injuries
- Extensive experience in defending negligent entrustment lawsuits
- Document drafting, ranging from rental agreements and franchise documents to self-insurance and public insurance policies and provisions
- Litigation involving rental company vicarious liability statutes in numerous states
- Analyzing jurisdictional insurance requirements and liability issues related to passenger vehicle and commercial truck rentals
- Litigation concerning enforcement of key rental agreement provisions and liability exclusions
- Litigation regarding supplemental liability excess insurance which may arise as a part of a rental car transaction
Providing extended services to rental car companies
In addition to specialized risk management advice, contract and document preparation, and industry specific litigation, our firm can provide assistance to rental companies in commercial and accident-related litigation, transactions and financing, labor and employment matters, real estate matters, insolvency and bankruptcy, and other contract and commercial matters.
Learn more about our capabilities in the rental car industry by contacting one of the attorneys listed on the right.