We understand that commercial disputes are not one-size-fits-all affairs. The seasoned trial lawyers at Conner & Winters have extensive experience in resolving a variety of business and commercial disputes, including bringing and defending a wide range of contractual and business tort claims.
Assessing risks and solving complicated problems
Our litigation attorneys have a reputation for thoroughly evaluating a commercial dispute, assessing viable options, minimizing risk, and providing consistent results. We are adept at finding solutions to complex business disputes, in part because we have acquired an in-depth knowledge of our clients’ industries and businesses. We are committed to providing our commercial and business clients with high quality, cost-effective legal services, whether that involves alternative dispute resolution, civil litigation, or white collar criminal defense.
Assertively advocating our clients’ business and commercial rights
Our Commercial Litigation Section attorneys are well versed in aggressively pursuing our clients’ business and commercial objectives through mediation, arbitration, and state and federal court practice throughout the United States as well as in international forums. Examples of recent matters the firm has handled include:
- Trade secret litigation between two Fortune 500 companies involving confidential formulas for business products
- A dispute between two Fortune 500 energy companies concerning provisions of an Operating Agreement for a gas plant gathering system, and duties and relationships with producers supplying gas to the plant
- A shareholder dispute concerning termination of an officer/shareholder and the enforcement of non-compete provisions
- The defense of a propane tank manufacturer against contract, warranty, product liability and torts in cases involving serious personal injury and deaths
- The defense of claims against security brokers for alleged misrepresentations and processing of customer accounts
- The representation of trucking companies in, inter alia, disputes concerning lease agreements, financing agreements, and theft of trade secrets claims
- The representation in anti-trust litigation involving alleged price fixing
- The defense of ground water and surface water pollution claims in multiple plaintiff and government initiated litigation
- The representation of a Fortune 500 company under the International Chamber of Commerce arbitration proceedings concerning rights of parties in a joint venture owned petroleum refinery and pipeline
- The representation of an individual in connection with a contract dispute over the sale of a business
- Resolution of a complex fraud, insurance and breach of contract dispute that involved multiple parties, multiple suits, and $13,000,000 of potential exposure
- The defense of a financial group on claims of breach of contract, violations of the Service Warranty Act, and bad faith
- The prosecution of breach of contract and interference with contract claims on behalf of a controls systems company, resulting in an award of compensatory and punitive damages
- Obtaining a unanimous defense jury verdict for a galvanizing company in a “bet the company” case involving multimillion dollar exposure on breach of contract, unfair trade practices, misappropriation of trade secrets, intentional interference with prospective economic advantage, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Obtained a judgment against corporate guarantors for a $1.7 million lease deficiency due after the primary debtor corporation defaulted on its lease payments for heavy equipment
Making the best use of technology, support staff, and outside experts
The firm has invested in state-of-the-art litigation technology and is committed to advocating our clients’ positions using the most modern and effective communication techniques. We make effective use of paralegals, our legal professionals are supported by in-house technology specialists, and we are additionally connected with a group of outside technology consultants who are available at a moment’s notice. We also draw upon a large network of business and economic experts to help construct creative and practical strategies.
Protecting our clients in multiple arenas
Our attorneys know that, along with the risk of civil litigation, clients may face the threat of government or regulatory investigation or enforcement, the prospect of media inquiry, or even the potential exposure of a criminal investigation or prosecution. Whatever the dispute may be, we have the ability to guide clients through the hazards and help them make sound, critical decisions.
Vigorously pursuing strategic objectives
Conner & Winters trial lawyers understand the complexity of modern business disputes. We are experienced in protecting commercial interests and ensuring fair competition. We partner with our clients in every aspect of planning and decisionmaking. We know that skilled discovery and trial preparation pave the way for successful trial results and that thorough preparation can also lead to advantageous settlements. We know how to vigorously pursue the client’s strategic objectives.